Quite simply, it saves you money in the long run as well as ensuring you have fun each time you ride your bike! A build up of mud, dirt, grit and grease chomps through the moving mechanical parts and can lead to a failure while you’re out enjoying yourself as well as being heavy on the pocket.
Step 1 Prepare Your Tools
The quickest way to get through the clean is to have all your ‘tools’ ready and to hand. So you’ll need:
- (If the bike is really muddy) a bucket of soapy warm water
- Gloves (if you’re not keen on getting messy)
- Rags (old underwear works a treat) or a microfiber cloth, a sponge and a set of cleaning brushes
- A bespoke bike cleaner, we like Muc-Off Cycle Cleaner
- Degreaser such as the Muc-Off Spray Bio Degreaser or the Muc-Off Bio Drivetrain Cleaner
- A brake cleaner such as Muc-Off Brake Cleaner
- A protection product such as Muc-Off Miracle Shine Polish or the Muc-Off Bike Protect Aerosol
- A wet lube for your MTB or a dry lube for your road bike such as the Muc-Off Wet Chain Lube , Finishline Wet Lube and the Muc-Off Dry Chain Lube .
Step 2 Clean
Using a brush and the soapy water clean off the worst of the dirt. Then use a bike cleaner, such as the Muc-Off Bike Cleaner. The bike cleanercuts through grime while protecting your bike's finish. It will not harm seals or disc brake pads. Simply spray on, wash off. Ensure whatever cleaner you use is fully biodegradable, alkaline based and safe on carbon fibre, paintwork, anodising, aluminium, titanium, rubber, plastic, seals and disc brake pads. Never leave the cleaner on without washing it off soon after application.
Careful attention should be paid to the brakes, after all your future safety could be at stake! Using a specialist brake cleaner will help improve braking performance, reduce squeal and ultimately prolong the disc pad and rotor life. We use the Muc-Off Brake Cleaner (and it doesn’t contain any nasty CFCs).
Step 4 Protect and Shine
Once you’ve done all the hard work it’s now worth protecting that investment with a protection product. Something like Muc-Off Miracle Shine Polish or the Muc-Off Bike Protect Aerosol which as well as giving your bike a good shine also creates a microscopic layer of protection which repels water and pollutants meaning next time it won’t take as long to wash that bike!
Second only to cleaning in importance is keeping your chain lubricated. A lubricated chain reduces friction, wear, noise and energy consumption. We use the Muc-Off Wet Chain Lube or Finishline Wet Lube for mountain bikes and winter rides and Muc-Off Dry Chain Lube for our road bikes. If you are a conscientious rider we would recommend Wickens & Soderstrom No. 5 Drive Train Lube for your road bike. You can also lubricate your shock shaft and fork stanchions with Wickens & Soderstrom No 4 Tuned Suspension Lube .
Stand back and admire......then go get a coffee and a cake....you deserve it!